I am a huge fan of juicing. I was a bit sceptical about the whole juicing craze but last year I gave in. I bought a juicer, a shed load of fruit and veggies and I swapped my morning coffee for a green juice. I felt the benefits right away.
During the summer I took juicing to the next level and did a 3 day juice cleanse and the results were simply amazing. I felt full of energy, never hungry, my metabolism kicked into gear and my tastebuds reset so that when I did eat 'real food' again I appreciated every mouthful. I was more mindful about what I was eating and how I was eating. No more dinners in front of the TV! Interestingly I also lost a taste for meat.
Now that it is January, I am in the mood for a cleanse once again. Cold juices and green smoothies are perfect for warm summer evenings but when it's cold outside I like to have a hearty and warming veggie soup for dinner.
- You can carry out a juice cleanse for 1 to 3 days.
- A couple of days before the cleanse cut down on caffeine, alcohol, dairy, meat, refined grains and sugar to minimise the shock to your system.
- Drink hot water and lemon first thing in the morning.
- Stay hydrated with water and herbal teas (not green tea however as it contains caffeine) through out the day.
- Drink PLENTY of juice (6-8 large glasses per day) to ensure you are getting enough calories. Juices are very calorific even it is in liquid form. If you find you are very hungry have a Green Smoothie in the mornings instead of juice .
- Make sure that juices are mainly vegetable based as pure fruit juice contains a lot of sugar. A good rule of thumb is one part fruit to three parts vegetables.
- Do not be tempted to drink prepared juice from concentrate. These lack the valuable micronutrients that we need to nourish our bodies and little sugar bombs.
- Take some gentle exercise, a stroll or a gentle yoga practice is perfect
- In the days after the cleanse eat light clean food, whole grains, plenty of green vegetable and maybe some fish or white meat.
Here are some of my favourite smoothies and juices...yum!
Enjoy! I'm off to the kitchen...
Yoga Tips & Wellness Musings. Treats & Eats.